Subscribe Now: standard

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Why I Am Glad to Be an American

Like you, I have been closely following all the crazy things going on in our world: the uprisings throughout the Middle East, the drug cartels' killing sprees in Mexico, and the civil war in the Ivory Coast.  After reading about each of those violent episodes, I came to a conclusion that I hope you all came to as well: I am so glad I am an American.

I know I write a lot about the failings of our country (political, financial, and social) but that is only because I want America to be better.  Maybe I am just young and naive, but I believe (with wise leadership and an engaged citizenry) this country can be an inspiration for the rest of the world.  That is why I am so critical of my fellow Americans and my rulers: I want everyone to understand the areas we need to improve in so this nation can be as great as it should be.

What I really want to say is that I am so happy I am an American because I have freedoms many people around the world do not have.  I live in a country that allows me to harshly criticize my leaders without having to worry about being kidnapped and disposed of.  My country's laws allow me to organize a peaceful protest in a public setting without having to worry about the police opening fire on me.  I can cast my vote in a private booth and base my electoral decision on my own criteria instead of being forced to make my choice while a candidate's friends stick their guns in my face.

These are amazing achievements.  The respect for the rule of law and the emphasis on free speech are some of the best things this country has going for it.  Sure, we may have our problems, but, I believe that we will overcome them.  There may be some dark days ahead, but, we will pass through them on our way to a bright future.  I know this because we Americans have the freedom to create our future the way we want it to be.  We just have to put in the effort to make our ideas a reality.

In the end, I am glad I am an American because I have freedoms, comfort, and hope.  And, really, who needs anything else?      

No comments:

Post a Comment