Subscribe Now: standard

Monday, May 2, 2011

Complex Thoughts About Osama bin Laden's Death

I would just like to write a bit about Osama bin Laden's death; specifically, I want to talk about my and my fellow Americans' reactions to it.

Like hundreds of millions of Americans, I was shocked and skeptical when I first heard the news that OBL was killed.  It had been almost 10 long years since 9/11, and, I think, as a nation we despaired of ever bringing him to justice for the crimes he committed against our country.

After I got over my initial skepticism, I felt a variety of conflicting emotions.  First, I was glad he was dead; I believed that OBL getting shot in the head was a just punishment for the atrocities he ordered against the world's citizens.  Then, I realized that my belief in OBL's assassination was inconsistent with some of my principles as a future doctor (namely that lives are sacred and that I do not have the authority to judge others).

A few seconds later, however, I remembered that his punishment was commensurate with his crimes, and achieving a more just world is also a belief doctors have.  So, I at least do not really have that feeling of cognitive dissonance anymore.    

There was one thing I did not like about the death of OBL, though: I did not really appreciate my fellow Americans (and some reporters) practically partying in the street.  It reminded me too much of the partying in the streets that many Middle Easterners did after 9/11.  Did their joy about the deaths of thousands of innocent Americans not make you sick with anger?  I'm sure it did.  And I would not doubt that there are thousands of people around the world today feeling that same displeasure.

The better reaction to OBL's death, in my opinion, was the considerably less-raucous candlelight vigil held in NYC.

(Note: I am not saying that Americans should not be glad justice has been served and OBL is dead.  What I am saying is that perhaps it would have been better to be a little more restrained for national security purposes.  That's it).

I guess I am just genuinely afraid that my countrymen's public displays of joy and exuberance after OBL's death may incite more violence against our country.  I am sure there are people in the world who are pissed about last night's party in front of the White House just like I was furious when I saw people celebrating in the streets in the Middle East after the towers fell.

The only difference is that the people who are going to be pissed about Americans' exuberance over OBL's demise are people who supported him in the first place; and those people are probably prone to violent anti-American tendencies.

I really hope that I am wrong, but I would not be surprised if we created some new terrorists today.  Let's just hope the CIA, the SEALs, the rest of our defense network, and our rulers are prepared and able to keep us safe.  No one knows what is coming for us next, but I am sure it will be bad.  And that scares me to no end.

No comments:

Post a Comment